teaching professional people english
Today I’d like to suggest a video clip as a starting point for a lesson for lower intermediate students. It’s an advertisement for an incredibly luxurious hotel in Dubai – many students will have plenty to say on that subject alone. The pictures are spectacular, the production impeccable, and the commentary is beautifully clear and correct.
I suggest starting off with some discussion of holidays. Where have students been? Have they ever been to such-and-such a place etc. Obviously, this is a perfect opportunity to revise the past simple & present perfect. I would also take the chance to review superlatives – the worst, the hottest, the most expensive …
Then I have written some comprehension questions which may lead to further conversation. Beyond that, I have found that this type of clip is really great for practising note-taking. In this particular case, the slow commentary gives people time to think and contains some written information with large numbers at the end.
You can find the clip here ;
1. What was the inspiration for the exterior design ?
2. Describe the interior..
3. Why is this hotel unusual (according to the advertisement) ?
4. Describe the facilities in the suites..
5. What choices do you have for your ‘dining experience’ ?
6. Why is the hotel described as ‘surreal’ ?
7. If you stayed in this hotel, where do you think you would spend the most time ?
8. The hotel has ‘stunning venues’. What type of customer would use them ?
9. Do you agree that it is a ‘wonder of the world’ ?
10. What do these numbers refer to ? 250, 9 000, 43 000, 13 000, 12 000, 32 000, 1 500, 1 200,
Photo credit; everystockphoto.com